06 November 2018

EARLY THIS MORNING AWAKENED FROM A DREAM

EARLY THIS MORNING AWAKENED FROM A DREAM
By Andy Weddington
Tuesday, 06 November 2018




Elections belong to the people. It's their decision. Abraham Lincoln



For the previous nine days, for reason no need to mention, our alarm sounded at 0315.

Last night reveille set for 0430.

But I was awakened shortly after three. 

Perhaps because of the previous nine days routine but there was another variable in play.

A strong odor awakened me.

Deep in dream, my eyes popped open. 

There was an instant of 'fight or flight.' 

Foggy, the odor took on faint familiarity.

Horizontal still and thinking - from where was that smell?

Aha! I remembered!

Two years ago.

The sweet aroma of an ass-kicking.

A smile crossed my face.

I eased out of the rack as to not awaken my wife.

With stealth, as on night patrol, down the stairs to the kitchen to make coffee. 

That aroma from November 2016 stronger by the step.

Even brewing coffee overwhelmed.

It's okay to dream. 

But as President Lincoln rightly noted ... elections belong to us, it's our decision. 

So, to make dreams come true, vote!

Tonight we confirm if this morning's "alarm" false.

Though at the moment, who knows?!

I sense not.     


No comments: