21 November 2023

SIX FOR BRUNCH

SIX FOR BRUNCH 

By Andy Weddington

Tuesday, 21 November 2023


Alzheimer's caregivers are heroes. - Leeza Gibbons


Saturday morning past sat six for brunch.

The dining room tastefully arranged with a dozen or so simple yet elegantly set tables; nary open seat. 

Our table - five women and me. 

The youngest a decade my senior and guess the oldest some 25 years or more of life. 

The youngest and I, strangers, had something in common - sound of mind. 

The others, too, shared commonality - varying types and states of dementia.

A young, smiling waitress approached to take orders.

Correctly, one-by-one, ladies first. 

Cheery. So patient. 

Last the waitress addressed the woman to my right, "Ma'am, would you like a cinnamon bun?"

"No thank you. I'm not hungry and they're too big and I don't like them much, anyway."

For too many menu choices and confusion, I helped with the rest of her order.

Turning attention to me, I asked for a cinnamon bun and told the woman who had just turned one down we'd split it. 

When the waitress left back to small talk. 

The youngest, to my left (of clear mind), helped me engage the others.

Challenging, most of the time.

We kept it light - about homes, families, lines of work before retiring, and interests and hobbies.

Lots of laughter. 

Genuine calm and joy. 

More than lots of repetition. 

We listened as if each time the first. Those not clear of mind none the wiser.

Patience.

The waitress returned with drinks, and placed the cinnamon bun to my right. 

I faced left to answer a question. 

A minute or two later I reached for the cinnamon bun but the plate clean.

The ladies across from me laughing. 

"I thought our plan was to split it?"

"It was good!"

"But you said you weren't hungry, they were too big, and you didn't like them."

"I don't remember."

More laughing around the table.

Meals delivered.

And more small talk. 

More of what had already been said. 

Moot, the socializing important. 

Obvious, though not at all surprising, was the complexity of discourse, any topic, possible with the woman not dealing with dementia.

She was pleasant and bright, informed, thoughtful and precise. 

Conversation with the others, limited and shallow, interesting but in a different way. 

Their vibrant histories and skills and talents slipping away; forever. 

To point, not so many months ago I crafted a Hemingway-like six words short story as summary to explain to those not familiar with dementia: Mom diagnosed Alzheimer's. Family suffers disease. 

But music penetrates their fog - reaches the soul. 

Some still dance; as if no one's watching.

Turn off the music and lights dim.  

That cinnamon bun devouring woman to my right?

Mom.

Thanksgiving Day she will again sit to my immediate right - at the table in our dining room set for eight; family all - others of sound mind (I presume).   

There's not going to be a cinnamon bun on Thursday but I assured mom she may eat all the chocolate ice cream (favorite) she wants - after dinner. 

Through childlike sparkle in eye and big grin, "You're no fun!"

Mom still knows me but these days refers to me as "the boss."

She knows, generally speaking, I take care of things but little understands all that entails ensuring her safety, well-being, and happiness. 

Yet somewhere in there she knows. 

I sense it - at times - like when we wander the park.




Life!

For these oddly rewarding times, and so much more, grateful. 

Happy Thanksgiving! 

8 comments:

Jim said...

Very Nice Andy, thoroughly enjoyed every word. Same to you as to this Thursday

margie said...

Thank you Andy! For taking such good care of your mom, my big sister! Am looking forward to visiting her in a couple of weeks! Happy Thanksgiving to you all! Love, Margie

Rob Barrow said...

Wonderful reflections Andy. These moments will be some of your most cherished. Happy Thanksgiving.
Barrow sends.

Gray Abercrombie said...

Thank you for taking such great care of your sweet mother. And Happy Thanksgiving to the Weddingtons.

Gray

Anonymous said...

Life is short and we have but a little time to gladden the hearts of others so make haste to be kind and quick to love. Those whose mothers are still here and not gone, no matter in what state, have much to be thankful for this Thanksgiving.
Toni

lglyspkng said...

Thank you, Colonel. Again, we share our thoughts as if we share the same brain. My Mom is now in assisted living, dementia warping her back to her younger days. She does still remember me, my siblings, our children, her great-grandchildren. Just difficult to explain where we came from since she's in the 1950s before we were born! And sometimes I am the boss, others, "You're not the boss of me!" I've learned the tough lesson of just laughing with her. And helping to feed her and all of those things she did for me growing up as a child. I owe her that.
Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!

robo eng said...

Good one. Thanks...and enjoy Thanksgiving.

Unknown said...

Sir, Happy Thanksgiving! I share in all the emotions you experienced with your mom.
When my dad passed away we (90) my wife and I moved in with mom and cared for
her in her last three years. She was (93). Challenges, sadness, smiles, laughter, “peat
and repeat games”, we miss her even after twelve year now!
Thanks for sharing! Jorge