02 October 2026

MARINES DIE AND THE CORPS WILL DIE TOO

MARINES DIE AND THE CORPS WILL DIE TOO

by Andy Weddington

Friday, 02 October 2026



Good Morning, 

Recently, I was encouraged to submit an article for publication. Hesitant, I did but with the understanding of no edits. Alas, well-intended reviewers, I suppose, could not help themselves. Their edits turned facts into fiction and also altered tone. And so will end my interest submitting to outside forums. 


Link

https://www.realcleardefense.com/articles/2026/10/02/marines_die_and_the_corps_will_die_too_1209418.html



Original (as written and submitted)


MARINES DIE AND THE CORPS WILL DIE TOO

 

Being ready is not what matters. What matters is winning after you get there.  

– Victor H. Krulak, Lieutenant General, USMC

 

The life cycle: Everyone and everything dies, eventually. 

Last evening I read post that a textiles company in the mill town I was raised is shuttering the last of their once giant operation after a run of 123 years. About 150 employees will be out of work. 

During the 1960s/70s, my youth, that company, not a mill I worked for, was big. Dominate. A lot more than 150 employees. But starting in the late ‘70s and accelerating during the ‘80s, practically overnight, politics destroyed American textiles. Death hit the South. Overseas, namely China, went the industry. 

I was asked recently to write not about the mills but about the Marine Corps and ethos. It’s been a damn struggle. 

Twenty plus years retired, the Marine Corps has changed significantly since I was commissioned 46 years ago. Trained an infantryman I did dangerous things. But there were duties outside the operating forces, too. Important duties. 

One of those assignments was supervising drill instructors (DIs). Three years (1983-1986) in 2d Recruit Training Battalion, Parris Island was a personal and professional life-changing experience. The impact still being digested. 

Forty-three years ago, come 01 October, West Virginian Jerry Hurst, 17 years old, in the squadbay on line at reveille, collapsed at the foot of his rack. His DIs heroic. Recruit Hurst died. Their series commander, I was responsible. 

The platoon changed that Saturday morning. So did the series change. The company, battalion, regiment and depot changed, too. But training continued. 

Fast forward, the core of recruit training today is not recognizable to me. Since 2006, 20 years after leaving ‘the street,’ I’ve visited the historic depot seven or eight times. During each visit, though I’ve seen committed DIs making Marines, I have seen a Corps dying, like the textiles mills, from politics.

Is it good for mission readiness of the Corps that male and female recruits train together?

Is it good for mission readiness of the Corps male and female DIs engage with opposite gender recruits?

Is it good for mission readiness of the Corps that long-standing Obstacle courses/Confidence courses designed to challenge men have been made to be less challenging so females can successfully negotiate them?   

Is it good for mission readiness of the Corps male training battalions are commanded by women?

Those just some of the questions that go to eating away at ethos – that difficult to describe something, but you know it when you see it, that graces Marines giving envious mystique to the Corps.

Last evening while preparing raw vegetables for roasting, sweet jazz in the background, I reflected on Parris Island days and how to craft this writing some expect me to do. 

My then commanding general, befriended years later during Parris Island reunions, now dead. We had an interesting conversation about Recruit Hurst. At the time, I had no idea the depth of his involvement with the family nor how that death impacted him. 

General Robert H. Barrow, Commandant of the Marine Corps when I reported, who I met shortly afterwards, died 18 years ago next month. He was the commanding general of Parris Island in the early 1970s. And he was a recruit and DI in the early 1940s at the San Diego depot. A seasoned trainer and battle-hardened warrior, he held strong beliefs about the critical mission of recruit training. His words, “Recruit training is where the difference begins.” 

During his final months as the Corps 27th Commandant, General Barrow visited Parris Island. Walking a recruit formation standing inspection he paused now and then to speak with recruits. Routinely, he’d ask a recruit what he’d learned during training. 

Soon after that visit during his retirement ceremony remarks, he recalled an exchange with one recruit. As to the rigors, testing, and challenges of difficult training he asked, “What did you get out of it, son? What did all of this give you?” “Discipline, Sir!” “And what does that mean to you?” “Sir, the private will always do whatever needs to be done.” He felt that was the best response he’d ever heard.  

That, as every Marine knows, is the confident mindset seared into the heart, mind, and soul - that goes to ethos - achieved only through conquering seemingly impossible training led by the demanding-of-perfection-never-satisfied DI. There is no other way. 

General Barrow did not believe, for myriad obvious physical and psychological reasons unique to males and females, gender-integrated training was good for the mission readiness of the Corps. 

Eight years after he retired, the Senate Armed Service Committee, believing his experiences still relevant, invited him to testify before a subcommittee holding a hearing not on recruit training, per se, but on women in combat. Though understand recruit training is integral to preparing young men for combat: Train like you will fight. 

 

Opening, he said, “This is not, should not be about women’s rights, equal opportunity, career assignments for enhancement purposes for selection to higher rank. It is about, most assuredly is about, as has already been pointed out, combat efficiency, combat readiness, winning the next conflict and so we’re talking about national security.”

 

In short, aligning with his objection to gender-integrated entry-level training, he opposed women in combat. He clarified, “Exposure to danger is not combat.” He felt deeply the requirements for strength and endurance rendered women unable to meet the demands of combat. His thoughts - precise, eloquent, passionate, and compelling - based on command of combat units in three wars. Though avoiding gruesome, his chilling climax detailed some of the unimaginable hardships and horrors of the Chosen Reservoir fight.

He warned, “If you want to make a combat unit ineffective, assign some women to it.” And he shared thoughts of supposing - had 15%, 20% of his unit been women. His supposing led him to believe death. With his bones being tended to in North Korea. 

He then made dire forecast: “I know about my service, if you persist in pushing this down into the combat area it would destroy the Marine Corps. Simple as that. Something no enemy has been able to do in over 200 years.” 

Still in the kitchen at the island tending to the vegetables, oven heating, deep in thought, General Barrow came to mind - on 10 November 2024 I stood at the foot of his grave following the annual wreath-laying ceremony.

I wondered what he, if alive today, would say and do about what so many Marines believe is the Marine Corps being destroyed by way of a rotting ethos, the shedding of significant combat power to retool for, of all countries, China, and a dying Corps for gender-integrated training and women in combat.

Say? “I predicted.” 

Do? Nothing other than offer respectful silent prayer for the dead.

Those who take exception to General Barrow’s position, all other notable Marines and others - men and women - who echo his sentiments, and even me but messenger for writing this short summary, take your politics-based quarrel up with heartless Mother Nature. Kill not commonsense, candor, integrity, voices of reason, and apolitical allegiance to what was the world’s most feared fighting force. 

The old General is still relevant. Few defy the life cycle but if any man can, put your faith in a Marine.

That’s all I have to say. 

Andy Weddington, U.S. Marine (Retired)

No comments: