09 May 2024

FACING CERTAIN DEATH SOME MEN CARRY ON - DUTY

FACING CERTAIN DEATH SOME MEN CARRY ON - DUTY

By Andy Weddington

Thursday, 09 May 2024


Duty is ours. Results are God's.  - John Quincy Adams


Every once in a while a reader will send me something to consider for commentary. Sometimes the recommendation proves of interest to me and I suspect it may be of interest to the greater audience. 

A day or so ago I received a couple of emails from a retired judge in Louisiana, who happens to be married to a Marine (Vietnam veteran), addressing a nonfiction topic with a link to a short film (an hour). 

As most anything nonfiction interests me this one surely did for the history - church, Louisiana, and American. 

Early this morning, before normal people stir, I watched the film. 

That's enough background. 

Now a bit of perspective. 

My great uncle James was a Catholic priest (Josephite - formally the Society of St. Joseph of the Sacred Heart). In my youth he served a congregation in Gretna, Louisiana. 



Father James Fitzpatrick, SSJ

(posthumous portrait by author)



I remember but a few things about him. He was a big man - physically and in spirit; he married my parents; and he took us bowling once when he visited family in NC. That was pretty cool. He made a lasting impression on me. 

When introducing the woman I asked to marry me to my parents, my dad referred to me, out loud to her, as, "My saintly son."

Technically, he had a point. Years earlier when confirmed I took the name Saint Anthony. Point of order, I have failed living up to Saint Anthony's example. But still try. 

Thirteen years after marrying we found ourselves living in Louisiana - on the West Bank of New Orleans in a community next to Gretna. I know, small world. Though not parish member I did find the church Uncle James once led. 

And we attended a couple of Saints games in the SuperDome. 

For reasons not important here, some decades ago I decided religion costly - in all sorts of ways - but faith free. 

Grounded in the teachings of the Catholic church and raised by parents who taught and exemplified right from wrong, with no shades of gray, and demanded such, spiritually pragmatic is a comfortable and peaceful state of well-being for me. It's complicated. No, it's not complicated. Not at all. It's simple. 

As to Catholic priests, Louisiana, and American history until this morning I profess ignorance about the Yellow Fever epidemic that decimated Shreveport in 1873. 

Citizens who could flee did. 

Those without means stayed. And paid. With their lives. 

Five Catholic priests, who courageously administered to the sick - duty in the face of death, also succumbed to the horrible disease between 16 September and 8 October (1873).

I'll not summarize the film. It's worth an hour of your time.

Thank you, Judge, for bringing this inspiring story to my attention. 

Thanks, Dad, for the "Saintly son" plug. I miss hearing it though your voice crystal clear.  

Tomorrow is our 38th anniversary. 

My wife has never referred to me as, "Her saintly husband." Bewildering. 

Keep the faith! 

It's costly not to. 

'The Five Priests' film ...

 <1521598781-54bceb1860439ecc7e3dcab5b999fa76016a9a4b88dba53364c726c1a6acb61e-d.png> 

And more ...

https://holytrinity-shreveport.com/five-priests-servants-of-god


No comments: