18 April 2023

HOBART

HOBART

Tuesday, 18 April 2023

By Andy Weddington



Children learn more from what you are than what you teach.  - W. E. B. DuBois


Hobart. 

Mr. Cook, to me. 

Nearly fifty years ago he taught (me) high school chemistry and physics.

The sciences not my strength but I managed decent grades. 

But from him I learned more than science. 

At the time I could not articulate those additional lessons but I can now. 

Senior year Mr. Cook must have seen potential and helped me figure out applying to college - which, after graduating, led to becoming a Marine and that changed life forever. 

So, Mr. Cook is at the hub of my Venn Diagram. 

Most everyone can cite a teacher or two, somewhere along the line, who changed their life.

I have three - the extraordinary Mr. Hobart Cook and two remarkable college professors Dr. Ernest Lumsden (nonparametric stat) and Dr. Thomas Tedford (General Semantics). Ironically, both professors (deceased) taught at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro (my undergrad degree and Mr. Cook's masters). 

Late this morning Mr. Cook and his wife, Donna (approaching 60 years), visited our home.

He delivered an inscribed copy of his just published book 'Life Beyond the Bridge.'



The Cooks departed after a couple hours then I sank into a comfortable chair in our library and read. 

Mr. Cook is an educator.

He wrote a biography. 

Superb! And though he does not use the term "leadership," it is straightforward, common sense leadership he practiced; the kind of elemental, by example leadership Marines respond to. 

Mr. Cook was my teacher. 

I knew next to nothing about his personal life (beyond mention of his wife on occasion in class).

During these past six months I learned about the poverty of his childhood and youth, the tough life he confronted and persevered, through good decisions and hard work, to change, and nearly dying a couple years ago.

Honesty and integrity and truthfulness and courage just some of the traits Marines will recognize.

Break the cycle of poverty he did. 

Then he decided to teach. 

More so he was an example.

He still is. 

Once in a while I recommend a book.

Whatever bias here, Hobart Cook's life story is a must! 

This is purposely not a book report nor review but a simple not compensated pitch as I do not want to be a spoiler. 

I could not put it down - 144 pages in four hours. 

There is timeless life lessons for youth, students, parents, teachers, and yes, Marines.

He mentioned present price $10.00 local/$15.00 by mail. 

A steal!  

Especially Marines ... I told Mr. Cook to expect to hear from many. It'll be the best few bucks traded in a long time. Promise. 

Pick up a copy before it makes the big time 'Best Sellers' lists and prices rocket. 

Only way to order - email: hgdccook@bellsouth.net




Mr. Cook and Andy Weddington


Thanks, Mr. Cook and Donna, for an enjoyable visit, my inscribed copy with your most kind included note, and new found friendship. My honor indeed you asked if I'd consider doing the cover art for a "science" book. Logical. Of course!