25 August 2021

BABY, I HOPE HARRY SEES THIS

BABY, I HOPE HARRY SEES THIS

By Andy Weddington

Wednesday, 25 August 2021



Everything in New Orleans is a good idea. - Bob Dylan



About twenty years ago during a flight from somewhere to somewhere else I read an inflight magazine article - that included interview - about Harry Connick, Jr.

The author, name I cannot recall, asked, "Harry, now that you live in New York, what do you miss most about New Orleans."

"Being called 'Baby'. I miss being called 'Baby'."

And he went on to explain the sentiment in context to his hometown known as The Big Easy.

Three years living in New Orleans, I get it.

It's what I miss most about living in New Orleans.

Of course the people, cuisine - po boy to Central Grocery muffuletta, bread pudding, and the every day festival vibe but, like Harry, I miss being called 'Baby.' 

Baby.

I still remember my first time. 

House hunting, we stopped at a roadside sandwich shop for a po boy.

I ordered and the young woman prepping the sandwich looked up and asked, "How do you want that dressed, Baby?" 

I'd not been called Baby in my life. 

I looked at my wife and asked, "She hittin' on me? Did she just call me Baby?"

"Yes, she did."

We thought it rather charming. Welcoming. 

And so Baby was added to our lexicon. How's it going, Baby? What can I get for you, Baby? Great to see you, Baby! With most any comment or question prime for using the casual term of endearment Baby.

Last night I sat within spittin' distance of Harry.


Harry Connick, Jr.
(photo by my wife)


Harry brought his seven piece big sound band to our small town.

The outdoor amphitheater website states capacity of 7,000 or so. 

But as I scanned the enormous crowd aft it seemed 70,000. 

A few times Harry thanked the crowd for being there - remarking he and the band did not know what to expect hoping for at least 20 or so.

From our practically front row seats it was a bit surreal, overwhelming really. I cannot imagine an intimate audience of 20 or so. How cool! 

More than once between songs - after applause and there was moment of quiet - I wanted to shout, "Hey, Baby, great music! Thanks for being here." But I restrained.

A fan of Harry's music, it was a first for concert. It will not be the last.

Fabulous entertainer! A personable showman. One of us. 

Nothing flashy. Rather, casual and genuine. He connected - through short stories and admitted impromptu garble - with the crowd. 

Harry shared there was an Army Reserve colonel he knew in the crowd. A doctor. 

He commented, from the heart, on his admiration and respect for those who choose to serve - noting personal sacrifice and so on. Back to that in a moment.

Harry said, too, he felt right at home - the stillness, heat, and humidity was smothering; just like New Orleans.

Yet the miserable weather dampened not a note from stage.

Beautiful music for more than 90 minutes. They left the stage and returned for an encore.

And I'd be remiss if not mentioning Harry's friend - whom he called his big brother - was in town and welcomed to stage. Branford Marsalis, incredible on horn, made nine. 


Harry Connick, Jr & Branford Marsalis
(photo by my wife)


Oh, that Army colonel doctor (MD)?

Harry's sister, Suzanna Connick Jamison. 

Playing an unusual sort of harp and singing, he dedicated a Gordon Lightfoot song to her. 

Obvious, he's proud of his older sister. 

And, again, Harry made it clear those who choose a life of service to others hold special place in his heart.

Some day I hope to meet Harry. If nothing else, for a beer, po boy, and to swap a Baby story or two.

"Harry, thanks 'Baby' for a great show - a few hours relief from the madness we live. Such fun last night."  

Harry Connick, Jr. - musician, singer, actor, et al. 

Harry Connick, Jr. - American patriot ... Baby!  

3 comments:

SR from Alexandria, VA said...

I love this post baby! Other endearing things I miss when I'm away from the deep south (I'm currently visiting the MS Gulf Coast), is being called Hon and my Love ... as in what can I get you my Love? How are you today hon? You know you're in small Southern town when someone asks, "who are your people?" - it's not meant to be off-putting; they're just trying to see where the familiar connection is. I could do without the extreme heat and humidity though. ;)

Unknown said...

Easy going man from The Big Easy.

DennisOB said...

Great story, Colonel ! I remember back in the early 60's when I was just a starting out teenager, when the " baby" phase became popular for a year or so in the NE Jersey area and elsewhere. It probably started with a TV show that had a "cool" actor ( Ed " Cookie" Burns comes to mind.). Everybody ( mostly the guys ) would call everyone else baby, except the cops, nuns, priests, and most importantly, " dear old dad" who reminded me once with a clip to the head that you don't call him baby. It brought me back about 60 years to those happy memories of a beautiful world of youthfulness whose innocence would soon be lost forever a short five years later. Thanks for awakening that memory.