14 January 2021

STAND THE MORAL HIGH GROUND

STAND THE MORAL HIGH GROUND 

By Andy Weddington

Thursday, 14 January 2021



That's how hatred is created: two different groups, each insisting they're on the moral high ground.  - Neil Strauss 



Yesterday arrived two notable notes. 

One an email from Tom (not met) asking if I read the Memorandum for the Joint Force signed by the Joint Chiefs, and the other a C note, generous and kind, from Sam (know) supporting the shoestring operating budget of this forum. 

I did read the Joint Chiefs memo. Twice yesterday. Again today. 

What came to mind was the staffing and coordination necessary to get eight four stars to agree to language and sign [unless it was written in SecDef's office with orders to ink it], and it met the politically correct requirement (as there was plenty begging, "Right, but what about ... ?"). 

Tom made a number of good points in thoughtful criticism. Valid. Initially, I thought to cover in detail but my time short and concluded most any rationally thinking person, especially veteran, has already reached the same conclusions. 

Sam had me pause and reflect and conclude it was not yet the day to quietly pull the plug (my plan one day - no farewell, no sign off, the home url will just return error message) for better things to do with my time (12+ years is far longer than intended and imagined).

Some people still care about and want truth.

Those who do not care about truth collect their toys and storm off. 

Or they attack, block, and censor.

Denying truth does not kill truth. 

Truth is truth. Endures.  

Truth reigns atop the moral high ground.

In recent weeks, specificity as to events moot, I have learned some people I know are not as smart as I once gifted credit; for the sole reason of attacking, blocking, censoring, and denying truth. 

And, admittedly, the sentiment may be mutual. Though facts not on their side. 

Surprised?

No. I got over the emotion of being surprised 37+ years ago when leading Marine Drill Instructors at Parris Island. After the second or third one popped positive on a urinalysis surprise gave way to disappointment.

People no longer surprise me. 

Disappointment is another thing.

Early this morning I read a neighbor's post on our community page.

On my mind since - while working with an Alzheimer's patient, running errands, and painting in a quiet parking lot just off our quaint downtown business district.

Summarizing that post ...

'The dining room is an important room in our house. My children and I learn about each other. It's where we share wins, challenges and hopes. We laugh. We play. It's where we learn to listen to each other and communicate - focused without distractions. It's where we breathe, slow down, break bread, and nourish our bodies and souls ... '

A few photographs of their dining room and round table complemented his words. 

I wrote him, a busy dad determined to build impressionable children into responsible adults and productive citizens, a short note of praise. And suggested, with all sincerity, he send his post to each member of Congress with the charge: We the people do not want you "reaching across the aisle" - sit at the same table.

Representatives and Senators (they merit not the descriptor "leader") spending nights, and days, at the round table is what Americans deserve. 

Truth! 

In my life, I've not hated anyone. 

To Mr. Strauss's opening thought about hate there's important missing caveat - both sides cannot stake claim to facts and truth. 

Throw out the attackers, blockers, censors, and deniers.

Unity in America? 

When the moral high ground is "swamped."   


No comments: