29 June 2017

SPIKE

SPIKE
by Andy Weddington
Thursday, 29 June 2017




Distrust of authority should be the first civic duty. Norman Douglas



Not five days ago came text recommending a book. 

The next day I bought the book. 

I finished reading this morning. 

But since the first page I've not stopped thinking about what I read. 

It took longer than usual to read this book because of nausea (from content). I needed time to pause and think. And I'm still thinking. 

I recommend, with foot stomp, the book.

Though published in 2013, I'd not heard of it. 

Ever alert for such type books that surprised me. Especially this book. Did it get the publicity merited? I don't know. 

I did not know Spike (subject of the book). But I know someone who knew him. 

Spike - Michael Scott Speicher. Naval Aviator. Hornet driver. Shot down in combat (Operation Desert Storm) over Iraq on 17 January 1991.  

Author Amy Waters Yarsinske tells Spike's story in 'An American in the Basement - The Betrayal of Captain Scott Speicher and the Cover-up of His Death.' 

The book referral came from a fellow hornet driver who served with Spike in a couple of squadrons. He knows a bit about Spike. 

When (my) bouts of nausea passed anger followed. And that anger is not passing.

This book is not fiction.

Though there are facts and truths that can be but (logically) deduced. 

Without spoiling the book for those interested (and I believe every adult in America, especially those in uniform and contemplating military service should be), the bottom line is Spike's story is not that understood by the average American cursorily familiar with him. 

At this writing my sentiment is those seniors - civilian and military - who knew of Spike's circumstances and failed him should be unmasked, charged with dereliction, and publicly tried. They are, arguably, war criminals. No other assessment seems rational. 

No more I say. Despite the fact there is much to say about such ideas as duty; honor; integrity; courage; country; and more. 

Apparently, the men and women who live by and carry out such ideas (ordered and) charging into danger are held to a higher standard than those who do not.  

Absolute truth and justice cannot ever be (too) late. 

Trust government (authority)? 

Seriously?

Our duty is to not, says Mr. Douglas. 

Concur. 

Read the book.

Duty. 

Think.

Duty, too.  

No comments: