26 June 2020

MISTER PRESIDENT, ORDER THE BAND, "STRIKE UP DIXIE!"

MISTER PRESIDENT, ORDER THE BAND, "STRIKE UP DIXIE!"
By Andy Weddington
Friday, 26 June 2020



Are you going to pull those pistols or whistle Dixie? Clint Eastwood



The brain fires in curious ways.

Curious. 

Early, as in real early, this morning a distant memory awakened me. 

That memory from a book read decades ago on Abraham Lincoln. 

Particulars of the occasion not clear (and there's not time to research). But what I recall is after the Confederacy was defeated soon followed a big celebration. 

Lots of people. 

Children playing, dogs, and games. Frisbees and corn hole, too, had only they been invented. 

The ceremony committee spared nothing as to pomp and circumstance. 

And the band on hand. 

President Lincoln spoke.

And at some point directed the band to play Dixie. 

The crowd gasped - for a moment, silence - mumbled and grumbled.

President Lincoln explained. To the victor come the spoils, he told the revelers. And opined Dixie is a wonderful tune and now, enemy beat song captured, it is ours. 

The band played! 

Wise of President Lincoln. A symbol (of a step) toward (re)uniting the country.



Lincoln
24 x 18 in.
acrylic on canvas


Mobs across our land destroying statues disturbing. History cannot be erased, so long as there's memory. On they rage. Now targets include statues of abolitionists. And (at least) one of President Lincoln representing Emancipation. 

Though the mobs of all colors, creeds, ages, and yes, genders, they have one variable, other than hate and aim to destroy, in common. Lack of smarts. 

While afoot in the neighborhood this morning thoughts of how other things connect and make sense. 

For example, college loans. And the Democrats ever-working to forgive them along with campaigning on free tuition for everyone. Well, of course. Attending college must not be correlated with education. The more idiots they can produce, on the taxpayers' back, the more they can keep the populace - freeloaders and producers - angry; at each other.

So at the core of current events is too many reared to believe that free is root, an entitlement, of freedom. Though reality is freedom is anything but free and only realized through sweat, sacrifice, and blood. Dom (dumb) parents failed - children and country.  

Our country's true dilemma and objective ought not be policing reform rather what to do with non-contributory citizens. 

I've ideas but will surely cause gasps - moment of silence - mumbles and grumbles. Marines will understand. 

Where are the big brains? 

But back to Dixie. 

Yesterday afternoon was media report of a clutch of three women (music I never listened to - purposely) changing their name from The Dixie Chicks to The Chicks.

Odd. 

They've a brand; recognizable, apparently. 

Why not just change spelling? 

Dicksy. 

Or, 

The Chunks. 

Brains fire in curious ways.

Brain female more curiously still.

Anymore, I pay little attention to media. Enough each day to get a hyped sense of where the nonsense; situation report, if you will. 

A recent mob tactic is obstructing roads - laying prone.

Photos of these genuises triggered another memory.

Remember Flat Stanley? 

The children's full-figure paper cutout (to aid in teaching) all the rage (late 1990s, I think) sent around by family and friends to document travels?

During dinner conversation last evening mob road obstruction came up.

So I constructed a simple scenario for my wife. 

"What would you do if happening upon such threat?" 

"Flatten them!"

Of course. 

As would most everyone I know.

And that ain't just whistling Dixie.

Meanwhile, 

"President Trump, Sir, President Lincoln declared Dixie America's song - therefore, at every opportunity rally or not, order the band, 'Strike up Dixie!'" 




Bombs Bursting in Air
10.5 x 12.5 in.
watercolor

3 comments:

Dottie Jean said...

'Flatten' is a euphemism, right? You really mean kill, don't you? I wouldn't flatten, run down, injure or hurt anyone by intention. Nope, I'm not most people and never have been. I'd turn around and avoid hurting anyone. I was raised with strong values (you were, too, I know) and 'do not kill' was only one of them. I find it hard to kill a spider. I have the radical belief that we're all (all life) one, all connected, all children of God. Through the years, my Christian values get stronger. I'm more a Christian today than my Southern Baptist upbringing instilled in me as a child when I had no choice. I have choice now and I've chosen Christianity which makes all the difference.

The watercolor of the flag is magnificently beautiful. I admire your art and artistry.

A Colonel of Truth said...

Yes, Dottie Jean, flatten. Whether running over them is fatal or not, is not my concern. They are surrounding and trying to pull innocent people from cars and injure or kill them. Did you miss the 911 call on the news yesterday? In Fredericksburg, VA a woman with young daughter in car was attacked on a downtown street. Her daughter terrified and sobbing, the frantic woman called 911. No help. The dispatcher, calmly and indifferently, suggested she call City Hall to lodge her complaint and hung up. More of the moronic ‘Defund the police’ nonsense. The woman kept her wits about her, gave the car some gas, and managed to escape. I bet still trauma - to mother and daughter. Christian? So what does that have to do with it? Christians kill people that are trying to kill them. These are not civilized people. They are savages. And they will kill you if the can. For me ... No second thoughts. No apologies. Threatening me or anyone dear to me and I will run their miserable ass over. And back over as many times as necessary. A road scraper may be necessary. Maybe the responding social worker will have one in their ‘tool kit.’ I thank you for the compliment on the watercolor. They are so hard to do. So most appreciated.

Gramps said...

An appropriate riposte, Colonel. Very. Watercolor, of course!