04 November 2016

MARINES - NOTHING LIKE THEM!

MARINES - NOTHING LIKE THEM!
by Andy Weddington
Friday, 04 November 2016




MARINES
Once.  Always.



This morning, out of the rack, I pulled on a black T-shirt with a Marine Corps emblem/seal covering the front. 

Why? 

I don't know - our Birthday is six days away.

Karma, maybe. 

After setting up coffee, I grabbed the iPad to check mail and scan headlines.

In mail was a comment submission to recent commentary titled 'Scary Footprints - Not For The Yellow.'

The comment began "Sir," two sentences followed, and closed "Semper Fidelis" above the author's name.

Coffee brewing. 

Day made. 

The author, a Marine, I served alongside dating back more than 14 years.

A great Marine, he had bigger plans. 

We talked about those plans, on occasion. 

Not a day goes by that I don't wonder about Marines with whom I served. What and how are they doing? Do they have families? How are their families?  

Many I hear from. 

Social media has helped with answers. 

Google helped this morning. 

Entering the Marine's name, up popped a Youtube.

I watched: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OBU60AFEpUw

And listened - to a mature, thoughtful young man. 

In the day, he was a lance corporal - promoted to corporal. He aspired to be a Marine officer (a vague memory tells me that happened). 

I retired. 

He continued. 

And deployed. 

When leading Marines, especially young Marines, you hope they're watching (example) and listening (to advice). 

Once in a while you confirm they were - in their own way; quietly.

There's not much more satisfying. 

Thank you, Kevin Eady - Marine, for sending that comment.

My pleasure, indeed, to have served alongside you. And made a difference.

Marines, nothing like them!

Only the "initiated" truly understand.

Semper Fidelis, Marines!  

Post Script

Scary Footprints - Not For The Yellow

http://acoloneloftruth.blogspot.com/2016/10/scary-footprints-not-for-yellow.html



No comments: